Your Forecast for the Top Nutritional Trends in 2021
We can all agree that 2020 has been quite a challenging year. Between a pandemic, an economic recession, environmental concerns, and endless uncertainties, we are ready to say ‘bye’ to a year of global hardships. With shifting priorities, as well as spending additional time at home either teleworking or virtually educating their children, many people have had to find new and unique ways to balance good eating habits and fitness with meeting all their family’s needs. For some, this year has brought renewed health and well-being, while for others, it has been the most difficult yet.
As we approach 2021, industry experts say we are likely to see many changes to food and nutrition trends. The International Food Information Council’s 2020 Food & Health Survey findings predict that the supermarket industry must build trust and support stressed households with their wellness goals. So, what can we expect? Our friends at Healthline have given us a few things to look out for.
Top Anticipated Nutrition Trends for 2021
- Immune Fighters. Recently, there has been an uptick in consumers eating not only for enjoyment, but to benefit their health too. With COVID-19 rearing its ugly head, many people have been starkly reminded that immune health is especially important in warding off sickness. In response, many will consume healthy fats to support heart health, probiotics found in fermented foods and beverages for a well-balanced digestive system, and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables to boost their immune system with vitamins and minerals. Additionally, it is likely consumers will start glugging more herbal teas and supplements like echinacea, turmeric, ginger, and elderberry for their added immune-boosting properties.
- Brain Food. Is your brain feeling extra foggy with all the added stressors of this year? Good news: it is predicted that there will be an added emphasis on mental health through food in 2021. A diet low in processed foods and rich in nutrients, fiber, vitamins, and minerals may help lower symptoms of anxiety, stress, and depression.
- Eating Local. Especially with the toll COVID-19 has taken on many small businesses, consumers will be looking to support local establishments rather than corporate or chain-style restaurants and grocery stores in the year to come. Moving forward, locally grown and ethically sourced foods are going to be most popular. These types of foods are usually fresher and more natural than those with a longer shelf-life. Plus, it feels good to contribute to the local farmer in your neighborhood.
- Social Responsibility. Consumers want to know that the company they are purchasing from is doing its part to make the world a better place. Because of this, companies will likely start to share their narratives online and through major advertising efforts. Do not be surprised if you see your favorite product or brand start to share its background story in an effort to stand out amongst competitors.
- Sustainability. Along with the companies they purchase from, consumers also want to feel like they are making a difference in society. Whether it’s choosing to buy local to reduce carbon emissions or eating plant-based foods instead of animal products a few days a week, people often look for ways to be a part of societal and environmental conservation. This mindset will continue to flourish well into the next year and beyond. Are you on board to make a difference?
- Flexibility. It’s expected that we will see a shift to more whole grains and plant-based foods in 2021. That is because more consumers are interested in something called a “flexitarian” or “semi-vegetarian” lifestyle. Shoppers are choosing more plant-based proteins such as dry beans and lentils, tofu, and homemade veggie burgers with the occasional inclusion of animal products.
- Balanced Approach. You may be one of the many that decide to forego fad or newfangled diets in 2021. Moving forward, people are going to be looking for a more realistic lifestyle that is easy to follow, affordable, and maintainable. Were not saying that all restrictive diet plans are out the window, but consumers are likely going to be pickier with which ones they choose to partake in, and more apt to dabble in all types of cuisine (in moderation), paired with an active everyday routine. We should also see less people looking at their self-worth through the lens of the scale, and more basing how they feel by how their clothing fits.
- Convenience. It looks like 2021 is going to be the year of the prepackaged meal kit! As we lead busier lives, it can get hard to cook healthy meals at home. Grand View Research anticipates that the meal kit delivery market will become nearly a $20 billion industry by 2027. With so many options available, there is sure to be a meal kit delivery service to suit your needs and goals.
- Honesty. Food and diet companies have been known to overstretch the truth on a lot of the claims they make. It’s official: consumers are fed up with this kind of misleading information. The solution? People are expected to make more purchases based on nutritional quality and the integrity of the company. Comfort food companies are also expected to come up with healthier profiles with more sustainable and simple ingredient options. This way of thinking ties in closely with social responsibility.
- Healthy Families. Parents are more in tune with the well-being of their children more than ever before. Parents are looking for healthier options, including organic and natural products for their kids to not only enjoy, but to also receive nutritional benefits. We already have seen a surge in healthier product options for little ones, and it looks like that will continue upward into 2021 and beyond.
As you reflect on 2020 and the new year ahead, we hope you will be inspired to make healthier choices for yourself and your loved ones. Whatever your health and fitness goals are, we want to help you reach them.
Want More Information?
Looking to redefine your wellness goals in 2021? Let CHC Medical Weight Loss and Spa help you improve your health. We provide affordable medical weight loss services, skincare treatments, body sculpting and hormone therapy. Our treatment consultants and team of medical professionals can give you all the details you need to make an informed decision about trying any of our successful plans or services. Whatever your aspirations are, we proudly offer the latest technological options to help you reach them. Be proactive, take control of your health, and contact us today at 813-915-8666 to discuss your best lifestyle plan.